In bootScore Toppings, I’ve already offered two slim landing pages: mylap-sp1rp1 and mylap-sp0rp1. Both show the important things first: The blog topic. And the most recent post. One of them additionally puts the most recent Sticky Post in front of the other. But if we want to show our reader the one or other sticky post more discreetly, it needs another solution:
- Install the Recent Posts Widget With Thumbnails plugin.
- Copy the widget
Recent Posts with Thumbnailsinto your general
Sidebar Widgetand configure it:
- Set the number of posts to show to 1, maximum 2.
- Select Show only sticks posts.
- Enable Show excerpt.
- Set the number of characters to show to 144.
- Set the width of the thumbnail to show to 120, the height to 75.
- Enable the option Use aspect ratios of original thumbnails.
- Set up your site to use your own specific landing page.
- Download the landing page mylap-sp0rp1.
- Copy it into your child theme under the name mylap.php.
The idea of this change is simple:
We only mark posts as sticky posts that outshine topicality anyway. That’s why we also want to point them to our readers. But we leave it at one or two posts. Sticky posts should not displace our recent posts.1 Our previous landing page
mylap-sp1rp1 put the sticky posts in front of the most recent ones. This can be done more elegantly and discreetly:
We install the plugin Recent Posts Widget With Thumbnails. It claims to be Open-Source software, in the repository the file Readme.txt refers to the GPL‑2.0 and the GPL‑2.0 license text is also located there. So we are on the side of the good guys here.
After that, we configure the plugin to help our reader. True to the maxim, less is more. And because we’ve thus moved the sticky posts to our general sidebar, we no longer need the landing page that shows both. So we can move to my-landing-page-stickposts-0-recentposts‑1.
- And yes, that also means that we implement our sticky tags over and over again. Otherwise, it gets boring. [↩]